Complete information on the processes for nominating and electing AAAS, as well as a list of current elected Fellows can be found at http://www.aaas.org/general-process. Please read the online information completely as the notes below are only the highlights.
Criteria: A member whose efforts on behalf of the advancement of science or its applications are scientifically or socially distinguished and who has been a continuous member for the four year period leading up to the year of nomination, may, by virtue of such meritorious contribution be elected a Fellow by the Council. Examples of areas in which nominees may have made significant contributions are: research; teaching; technology; services to professional societies; administration in academe, industry, and government; and communicating and interpreting science to the public.
Nomination Types: Three types of nominations are possible:
- 3-Fellow Nominations made by groups of three AAAS Fellows with current memberships; and
- Steering Group Nominations, made by the Section U leadership. Materials for Steering Group nominated fellows should be received by the Section Secretary by March 21, 2018.
- Nominations made by the AAAS Chief Executive Officer
We invite you to submit 3-Fellow nominations. The AAAS ByLaws allow the Section U Steering Committee to select two Steering Group nominations and five 3-Fellow nominations from those submitted to send forward to the AAAS Council.
Process for Submitting Three-Fellow Nominations
Requirement for the Three Fellow Sponsors:
- Only previously elected AAAS Fellows who are current in their membership may serve as sponsors.
- You can also search the entire AAAS database of fellows at the Elected Fellows page.
- No Fellow may serve as a sponsor on more than two (2) three-fellow nominations in any given year.
- Only one of the three sponsors may be affiliated with the same institution as that of the nominee.
Requirement of Nominees (2018 Cycle):
Nominees must have been a continuous member of AAAS since December 31, 2014 or earlier. One Steering Committee Fellow may be nominated who does not meet the four-year membership criteria. It is not required that he/she be a member of our section (or any section).
Process for Lead Fellow Sponsor:
- Verification of nominee eligibility is required in advance of submission. Please email email@example.com with the nominee name and institution to obtain verification.
- We have a list of all Section U members who are not currently fellows, but remember that some of the people you want to nominate may be AAAS members who haven’t joined the section yet. You can email firstname.lastname@example.org to see if they are eligible (the requirement is continuous AAAS membership, not continuous Section U membership) and then ask the nominee to designate Section U as their primary section.
- A .pdf fillable nomination form can be obtained from http://www.aaas.org/current-nomination-cycle.
- The nomination form must be signed by the primary sponsor.
- All three sponsors must submit supporting letters on letterhead. (Guidelines for the content of those letters can be found on the above website.)
- Required supporting information (e.g., nominees contact and biographical information, section (Statistics is Section U), citation, CV, etc.) is listed on the pdf application form.
Deadline: The nomination cycle is opened on November 30, 2017 (http://www.aaas.org/page/aaas-fellows). The deadline for receipt of all (complete) nomination materials is April 11, 2018, 11:59 p.m. EASTERN time. Complete packets should be emailed to email@example.com or postmarked by April 11, 2017 and sent to
AAAS Executive Office
Attn: Fellow Nomination
1200 New York Avenue, N.W.
Washington, DC 20005.