Complete information on the processes for nominating and electing AAAS, as well as a list of current elected Fellows can be found at http://www.aaas.org/general-process. Please read the online information completely as the notes below are only the highlights.
Criteria: A member whose efforts on behalf of the advancement of science or its applications are scientifically or socially distinguished and who has been a continuous member for the four year period leading up to the year of nomination, may, by virtue of such meritorious contribution be elected a Fellow by the Council. Examples of areas in which nominees may have made significant contributions are: research; teaching; technology; services to professional societies; administration in academe, industry, and government; and communicating and interpreting science to the public.
Nomination Types: Three types of nominations are possible:
- 3-Fellow Nominations made by groups of three AAAS Fellows with current memberships; and
- Steering Group Nominations, made by the Section U leadership. Materials for Steering Group nominated fellows should be received by the Section Secretary by March 24, 2017.
- Nominations made by the AAAS Chief Executive Officer
We invite you to submit 3-Fellow nominations. The AAAS ByLaws allow the Section U Steering Committee to select two Steering Group nominations and five 3-Fellow nominations from those submitted to send forward to the AAAS Council.
Process for Submitting Three-Fellow Nominations
Requirement for the Three Fellow Sponsors:
- Only previously elected AAAS Fellows who are current in their membership may serve as sponsors. We have linked a list of fellows whose primary section is Section U.
- You can also search the entire AAAS database of fellows at the Elected Fellows page.
- No Fellow may serve as a sponsor on more than two (2) three-fellow nominations in any given year.
- Only one of the three sponsors may be affiliated with the same institution as that of the nominee.
Requirement of Nominees (2017 Cycle):
Nominees must have been a continuous member of AAAS since December 31, 2014 or earlier. It is not required that he/she be a member of our section (or any section).
Process for Lead Fellow Sponsor:
- Verification of nominee eligibility is required in advance of submission. Please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the nominee name and institution to obtain verification.
- We have a list of eligible Section U members, but remember that some of the people you want to nominate may be AAAS members who haven’t joined the section yet. You can email email@example.com to see if they are eligible (the requirement is continuous AAAS membership, not continuous Section U membership) and then ask the nominee to designate Section U as their primary section.
- A .pdf fillable nomination form can be obtained from http://www.aaas.org/current-nomination-cycle.
- The nomination form must be signed by the primary sponsor.
- All three sponsors must submit supporting letters on letterhead. (Guidelines for the content of those letters can be found on the above website.)
- Required supporting information (e.g., nominees contact and biographical information, section (Statistics is Section U), citation, CV, etc.) is listed on the pdf application form.
Deadline: The nomination cycle is opened on November 30, 2016 (http://www.aaas.org/page/aaas-fellows). The deadline for receipt of all (complete) nomination materials is April 26, 2017, 11:59 p.m. EASTERN time. Complete packets should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org or postmarked by April 26, 2017 and sent to
AAAS Executive Office
Attn: Fellow Nomination
1200 New York Avenue, N.W.
Washington, DC 20005.